Friday, November 19, 2010

Oakley 1995 - 2010

I'm sorry that most of you never got to meet Oakley.
He was the sweetest natured cat that ever walked this earth
and I have watched him fade away little by little over the past year.
There haven't been a lot of photos of him lately. he was just too frail but these are two from this year:

Nadie would say her final goodbyes each time she left to go back down to Melbourne but I think we both knew last weekend that this time it really was for the very last time.
Each time I watched her do it, it just about broke my heart
When I've woken up in the morning recently, or come in the door getting back from town, I've half expected him to have 'gone'
and bad as that would've been, and as awful as it has been in the past, sitting up through the night with an animal that I knew I was losing, it was somehow worse to have to make the call to the vet. I did that earlier in the week, knowing that I needed time to say good-bye and to make peace with my emotions ... and that I needed to let my girl know too.
Part of me hoped that Oakley would somehow take that decision out of my hands in these last few days
but he didn't
so today he made his trip over the rainbow bridge.

23 comments:

Brenda Gael Smith said...

Gotta love a redhead. RIP Oakley

Marcie said...

It's the last loving thing we do for our sweet companions, but so hard. His spirit will stay with you, though.
(hugs)

Liz said...

Such a hard decision but in the end, the right thing to do..
Lots of hugs for you and your girl..
Lizzie
xxx

Rose Red said...

Lovely Oakley, what a tail! Hope you are feeling ok, it's a terrible hard thing to have to do.

lisette said...

he was such a lovely cat - i'm so glad i met him. hugs to you and nadie xxxxx

sososu said...

I remember Oakley when I used to come to your house in Wantirna. He had a pretty good innings, and a very pampered life, so all your love and care did that for him.

Donna Lee said...

I'm so sorry. We went through the "sitting with our animal while he slowly slips away" earlier this year. It's easier/harder than making the call to the vet.

My thoughts are with you.

Tara said...

RIP Oakley, the fastest damn cat in the west when there was a dimsim involved..

Robbyn said...

We lost our Goldie (Oakley's near twin) in August. He was 17 years old - but that didn't make it any easier to say good-bye.

Hugs from my heart to yours, Susan. No one loves us like our pets do.

Unknown said...

Sending lots of hugs from this side of the world.

Lisa L.

Small and Moody said...

I just stumbled upon your blog but I am so sorry for your loss. I had to make the same call to the vet for my sweet cat Casey. It was the best thing to do but far from the easiest. Your Oakley was beautiful!(Hugs)

janet said...

He was lovely and my heart is with you.

crazyhaberdasher said...

R I P Dear Oakley ... you will be sadly missed.
Chris and Maz

TracyR said...

I will always remember you Oakley with fond memories. I feel your pain Susan and Nadie - my beloved Tocky died in my arms in the front yard nearly 5 weeks ago, aged 20 years! Big hugs to you both.

ozjane said...

We has tears in our eyes........oh why is it so hard....?

Unknown said...

the greatest kindness and hardest thing is to end his suffering. Remember the good times with your little friend.
Hugs to you

gayle said...

My heart is with you. We had to do the same thing with our little Ursula, and it was so very hard.

Allison said...

My heart aches for you.

Anonymous said...

so sad to hear of Oakley's passing

April said...

My most sincere condolences on the passing of Oakley. May your memories of him help you through this time. I know he had a wonderful life with you.

Doris Sturm said...

I am so sorry to hear that. Every time I read a story about someone's beloved pet having to say their final good-byes, it tears my heart apart. I can never ever get used to that feeling and cry every time because animals are so precious - they are our angels here on earth! My thoughts and prayers are with you at th is time of grief.

With deepest sympathies,
Doris

SheilaC said...

I have always had a soft spot for orange tabbies.... and Oakley was a handsome boy.

You both were lucky to have had each other.

Hugs to you.,...

SheilaC

Alwen said...

That's the hardest thing about having pets. (((((hugs)))))