Sunday, July 11, 2010

only 5 more sleeps to go

After an unplanned 2 day hiatus from spinning and knitting , caused [ as my nearest and dearest and FB friends already know ] by an argument with a serrated bread knife ] I'm back - slowly and carefully - spinning along with the TDF.
I'd normally have to characterise the cut as completely inconsequential, piffling, barely worth a couple of bandaids, except that - due purely to placement - it clearly did have a consequence this time ... no spinning or knitting for enough days that I was in serious danger of slipping into a decline.
Luckily I was well supplied with plenty of mags and books, TrueBlood and Dr Who DVDs and a whole menagerie of small, warm, furry, bodies, all eager to share my unexpectedly vacant lap in front of a roaring fire
and
the finger has now mostly healed [ except where I keep knocking it open again ]
so
while knitting may have to wait a while longer, today has seen:

a plethora of plying [ which for the uninitiated, means taking the two full bobbins, and sending them on another journey with the wheel spinning backwards, so that they twist around each other into 'proper' yarn ]

followed by a slew of skeining,

a welter of washing and whacking,

and the resultant 442 metres of sacred alpaca

is currently warming its backside by the fire

and if you're puzzling over how any of the above relates to the post title, puzzle no longer:
Australian Wool & Sheep Show
Bendigo,
this coming Friday [ and Saturday and Sunday ]

and to give you the teeniest sense of what that means
here's a couple that I prepared earlier

4 comments:

gayle said...

Enjoy the Sheep and Wool!
And heal fast.
I'm supposedly doing TDF, but haven't actually done any spinning yet. Apparently I'm a cheerleader this year, instead of a participant...

Doris Sturm said...

Wow, what nice wool! It's amazing how much work goes into creating those strands of yarn we crochet and knit with.

Enjoy the show - are you entering your product? Can you get a few alpacas on your land so that you can shear and use your own? I see that you do so much already, what's one or two things more?


I admire your stamina and determination. I hate getting cut and stung in the fingers, but then, I'm such a klutz, I cut myself on the knives washing the dishes or when I have to do a little sewing for my crochet projects, I inevidibly end up poking myself with the sewing needle and then I'm pouting for a few days (at myself) not wanting to deal with sharp and pointy things ever again!

Sheepish Annie said...

Your yarn was worth the wait! Although, I'm not sure the circumstances were quite what I'd suggest in the future...

Enjoy the Sheep And Wool Show!!!

colleen said...

Hint for your healing finger, keep some tape on it for a lot longer than needed it will stop you bumping it when knitting spinning, et. You have to get your priorities right. I will be at Bgo Show for 3 days (yay) mostly on the NE Yarns stall, but I have to go and see Mandie and a few other people at some time.
Cheers, Colleen