Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Daylesford fires

I was going to do a general catch up post about the last week, which has been incredibly busy, full of visitors and party preparations, but I'll leave that for tomorrow.
The bushfires are still dominating the news after over a fortnight, and I've already received emails today from friends in Melbourne unsure of whether the current blaze near Daylesford is likely to affect me and mine.
The short answer at the moment is no.
Obviously David and I did not go to dance class there last night
but
Daylesford is 40 odd km away and while the Gippsland and Kilmore blazes have proved that 40km is nothing to an aggressive fire front, I am well to the north of Daylesford and the hot conditions forecast for later in the week are most likely going to be driving fires southward.
I am far more concerned about my friends in and around town - Zoe and Andy from Purl's Palace, John and Kath and their puppies, who live out at Sailor's Falls not far from the current Muskvale -based fire, Robyne and Paul and the goats at Eganstown, quilting friends, SueB and Robyn C, and many others.
This is the screen shot from the DSE website at midday:

the arrow is where I am, the red dots to my north, east and south east are the fires from a fortnight ago, and the flame symbol southward is Daylesford. You can all see the horrendous red splotch to the east of Melbourne. THAT is who and what we should be most concerned about at the moment
Hopefully there will be a return to normal blogging tomorrow

6 comments:

Rose Red said...

Glad you are on the right side of the fire but hope Daylesford will be spared - such a beautiful town.

Am utterly dismayed the fires haven't ended, I hope the fireys can get them under control soon without further losses.

Lynne said...

Glad to hear that you're okay.I can understand why you would be concerned about so many people.

Sarah said...

I hope that these fires are under control soon and that the weather changes and brings an end to them.

It gives me a stomach ache thinking of all the loss.

Alwen said...

All I can say is that I'm crossing my fingers and toes for those folks.

Sheepish Annie said...

I am relieved to hear that you are, thus far, in the safe zone. But my mind simply cannot get around the degree of devastation. This is horrific. I'll keep thinking good thoughts for you and everyone affected by this horrible event.

Donna Lee said...

I wish I could send you some of the rain we have been having. It would help.

And I'm glad to hear of your near miss. (that it wasn't anything serious) I had one of those last year that culminated in an mri and it turned out to be nothing. "area of concern" is just the words they used.