Wednesday, September 26, 2007

because she asked so nicely [edited to add an extra photo ]




this is for tanya
who wanted to know what I had in mind for the corners. Just as well she didn't ask sooner though. I only drafted this bit yesterday.
There's a teeny triangle still to go across the corner in charcoal. The elongated diamond shape in the corner unit is pieced from the two darker jades from the maze section for just that reason - I had only the tiniest amount left of each and this was a way of repeating the colour.
Repetition - whether of shape or colour - is always a good design strategy.
There's still the possibility of using the purple as an outer border outside of the charcoal - which would also take care of the repetition angle - but I'm not sure.
... and I keep saying "the" charcoal but there are actually two of them in there. I was scrimping along with what I had, trying to make it go as far as I needed it too, when my friend Beverley donated some leftovers that are exactly the same shade but a marginally different splotchy print. You can tell them apart in the corner unit but in the small triangles they look the same.
ETA SO - none of you were all that enthused by the proposed corner treatment... which is fair enough. I'd rather have constructive criticism than uncritical adulation [ I think ... let me check with the ego for a sec ... yeah, we're good ]
anyway
Bearing in mind that a] I have a deadline with this and b] it DOES have to relate to the vase that was the basis of the original design in some way
and
c]there are very limited amounts of some of the fabrics left
how about something like this then?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you cut out the small corner triangles in the different fabrics and place them on the corners for us to see how they would look? That way we can get a better idea of how they will look finished. The 'maze' is very effective and I love the colours you have chosen.
Cheers for now,
Jenny

Anonymous said...

I've been following the progress of this, and I really like it so far, but um, sorry, I don't like those corners, I think you can do better than that, Susan

(said with love and trepidation)

Nadie said...

gotta say they don't do much for me either sorry.

maybe something split point lightish?

Linda Mullen said...

Very nice!

Sheepish Annie said...

Ack!!! I can't see the pictures!!! How am I to envy the lovely art if I can't see the pictures? I may not sleep tonight...

Suzy said...

I like you choice of colours but not sure on the corners - your borders are wonderful all tight and filled up but the corners seem very open (if you can understand what I mean). The maze is wonderful - you have done an excellent job with it - I love it!

crazyhaberdasher said...

Hi Sue, the photos are there then they are not....definitely something happening there (or not!)....
Not that I am an expert, I was in two minds with this, I thought that just seeing the one corner of the previous choice was a little limited and we needed to see the whole quilt showing all four corners, but this one is quite nice - how about a full view if that is possible....cheers!

catsmum said...

very weird - they've just disappeared [again ]

mehitabel said...

Blogger has been being naughty with my photos, too. Hopefully they will get that straightened out! I love the maze center, and the border is looking very very good. Corners? well, I guess I'll have to wait for the photos to reappear!

Anonymous said...

nope, that still doesn't work...what happens if you reverse that triangle in the corner so the point is directed inwards?
Some pics still missing - it should be called Bugger, not Blogger :-)

Tanya Brown said...

Here I am, a day late and a dollar short.

Although I admired what you intended for the corners originally, I think the design you came up with for the last photo is stronger. It feels like there's a smoother transition between the border you'd used in the straight sections and the negative space of the corner.

Regardless of what you do, it's going to be a very strong piece. The corner design will only make a difference between "excellent" and "really excellent". Your use of color is masterful.

catsmum said...

aww gee whiz thanks [ she says blushing ] Tan you are so good for my ego, maybe I should put you on a retainer.