Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Cats, goats and triffids

If you've ever wondered whether miracles do happen, wonder no more:

Sophie, Oakley and Caramel all sitting calmly in the same room. I wasn't game to get closer [ or to remove the detritus ] in case I spooked Caramel so apologies for the crappy pic. Now maybe as miracles go, this is not quite in the same league as Jesus appearing in a piece of toast or the Virgin Mary's face in a MacDonald's bun but I thought it ran pretty damn close... and it's a hell of a lot more real!
Note to self ... can you use 'hell' and 'damn' in the same sentence as 'miracle'?

I am pointedly ignoring the fact that this apparent serenity was shattered shortly theafter when Sophie and Caramel had a rather loud and pointed exchange of opinions as to each other's anticedents and habits which culminated with Caramel bolting under the spare bed and refusing to come out for four hours.


There is no connection at all between the cats and this adolescent 'triffid' that I found on a dead twig while I was over talking to PeteNextDoor's goats. I just think it's interesting. Some sort of lichen thingy. Likewise, these scented sundews[ drosera whittakerii ] Very primitive carniverous plants. In about a fortnight they'll be covered with the most delicate little white flowers completely at odds with their ferocious nature. I've got thousands of the beggars.

and to finish up the first herald of Spring.

15 comments:

crazyhaberdasher said...

Nothing like bliss and hell in the same post!
Then "how's the serenity".....

April said...

Oh great googly moogly, look at the GOATS!!!

{{{goat hugs}}} {{{goat hugs}}}

And daffodils too. What more could a girl ask for?

Alice said...

The cats may have been cohabitting peacefully for a while, but I love the photo of Pete's goats - they really look cosy.

MadMad said...

Happy almost spring. Love the cat picture!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the kitties are almost getting on - fingers crossed that their 'differences' are sorted in a timely manner!

Denise said...

I love sundews, and all carnivorous plants - takes me back to my days of studying botany at uni... they're SO cool!

Very glad to hear the cats are starting to tolerate each others' company a bit better, there is hope for Caramel yet. Her name is so funny - my daughter used to keep mice, and named them after foods (Pepper, Coffee, Chocolate etc) - Caramel was a large fat tan mouse. I'm sure YOUR Caramel would love to have met her ;)

Sheepish Annie said...

All that goat happiness more than makes up for any kitty squabbles. Although, I think it sounds like Caramel is starting to adjust to the new surroundings and may be on her way to finding a little peace.

I can use hell, damn, and, miracle in one sentence: It will be a miracle if I ever learn to stop saying, "hell" and "damn!" Clever, no?

TinkingBell said...

Hurrah for spring and for carnivorous flowers - just to remind us that even pretty things have another side to their personalities - think CATS!!

Nadie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nadie said...

April - a girl could ask for newborn kids in about a month.

I'm glad the girls next door survived their illness. Arn't the kids getting big! They look almost as big as mum in that pic. How old are they now?

Jejune - Caramel is a refuge from a friend of mine who couldn't have pets in her new apartment. She's named because she is a pale grey and creamy caramel tortoishell. She is a really pretty cat, and usually quite friendly, just having trouble adjusting because the only other pets she's ever lived with were rats and mice!

Unknown said...

Hi Susan, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.Could i please have your email address so i can send you the possum pattern. Thanks. You can reach me at gibsonkylie@yahoo.com.au Thanks

April said...

Susan, where did you get the pattern for that wonderful Singlet Top you posted on the Babysweaters forum? It's adorable!!!

Linda said...

Oooh, no luck finding your e-mail address. So I have to tell you in public.

You are Nice (and thank you, I have gone with your fabric pricing)

http://chloesplace.blogspot.com/2007/08/nice-matters.html

Nicole & Phil said...

Looksl ike you have been busy since I last popped in to say hello! GReat to see the cats all getting along nicely! LOL

Tanya Brown said...

I adore the photo of the goats. It reminds me of the photos one often sees when old friends get together. They'll have their arms around each others' waists and heads tipped toward each other. That's what the goats look like, old friends.